We ask that all riders come prepared with the following:
- Bike (see below for more info)
- Lights for early morning & evening rides
- Flat kit
- Phone, ID, and cash/credit card
Please make sure your bike is in good working order prior to all rides. You can always show up early and get mechanical help from Cycleast. Shop hours are 7:00 am - 7:00 pm, 7 days a week.
What type of bike do I need?
Our rides are typically on the road or basic dirt terrain. We always let you know in the event details.
Road bikes are best for our Sunday Slow Your Roll rides and special event road training rides. These bikes typically have skinny tires, drop bars, and a variety of gears.
Sometimes we have non-road rides at McKinney Falls or other natural areas. We choose terrain that is fun and not necessarily technical. Most bikes with knobby tires will work. People show up on mountain bikes, CX bikes, gravel bikes, etc. If your commuter has tires similar to the photo below, that might work too.
Do I have to wear spandex?
Most Snackers wear a cycling kit, but you can, of course, wear whatever is comfortable.
Why do folks wear cycling kits at all?
- There's a built-in chamois that provides cushion for your butt. Why not buy a squishy saddle, you ask? Because those do not support sits bones very well.
- The jerseys have lots of pockets so you can stash snacks and other gear.
- The lycra fabric wicks away sweat and dries fast so you are less likely to chaff.
- The Team Snacks kits are pretty rad. Have you seen them?
What is a flat kit?
By "flat kit," we mean supplies for changing a flat tire. This includes a spare inner tube, tire levers, and either a small air pump or CO2 cartridges. If you don't have one, Cycleast has all these supplies in stock. If you don't know how to change a tire, that's totally okay! Our ride leaders are happy to jump in and help.